Your time at University is a chance to develop your independence, to do more of what you love - and to find new things to love.
Read on to learn more of the basics about student life in York, and to discover opportunities to get involved and expand your experiences - here on campus and in the city of York.
Other useful numbers - call 101 to speak to the Police when it's not an emergency, and call 111 for NHS advice.
Your College and the Reception Services team are here to help with anything from lost keys to wellbeing support.
Your student unions - (for undergraduate students) and (for postgraduates) - organise events, represent your views to the University, provide welfare services, and much more.
Your University in your pocket
MyUoY is a mobile app specifically developed to support everyday life for 四虎影院 students. The app has lots of features to support your student experience. See our MyUoY app guide.
Food and drink
Whatever your budget and whether you want to cook for yourself, grab something to eat on campus or go out for a meal, there are options available to you. You can even find places on campus to get hot water or heat up food you bring in from home.
- Cafes, restaurants and bars on campus serve a wide range of snacks, sandwiches, salads, cooked meals, desserts and drinks throughout the day. Meals can be discounted through the Meals in Advance (MAD) scheme, which involves prepayment on a termly basis.
- Find .
- YUSU also run bars and cafes on campus - find out more about .
- When you're cooking for yourself, you've got a choice of supermarkets, international food stores and markets in York.
- If you want to go out, visit one of the pubs on Main Street in Heslington village, or the , or .
There are lots of ways for you to get involved in activities at University, and lots of benefits for you; you could make new friends, try different activities, support your community or improve your skills and build your CV. The opportunities available to you include:
- Social - look out for events and activities organised by colleges, YUSU or GSA, join , or meet people like you with Student Connect.
- Representation - you can make a difference. Stand for election as a YUSU, GSA or College rep, join your department's Board of Studies, become a Student Ambassador or apply to join the Student Expert Panel.
- Academic - join your departmental societies, or learn about groundbreaking research happening here at York Talks.
- Volunteering - options include volunteering in schools, helping to maintain green spaces, or being an advocate for older people.
- Working - our Work, Volunteering and Careers team can help you find a part-time job, work on your CV and prepare for your career post-graduation.
- Global opportunities - take advantage of the chance to work or study abroad, or take part in global opportunities on campus.
- For international students - find opportunities tailored specifically for international students.
Sport and fitness
Indulge your passions or try something new. Whether you're a beginner, a skilled competitor, or a spectator, there is something for you. At York, sport is all about having fun, being social and giving everyone the opportunity to get involved. Our include a competition-standard swimming pool, floodlit 3G football pitches, an outdoor velodrome, floodlit road cycle circuit, athletics stadium and 39 acres of grass playing fields.
We have more than 60 to choose from. Many also offer the chance to compete in BUCS (British University College Sport), representing York across the country against other universities - including the annual Roses tournament. Take your pick from skydiving, triathlon, sailing, American football, potholing, rowing and more.
You can also get involved with your college sports teams, and perhaps take part in College Varsity in which our best college teams play against Durham University.
If you just want to stay fit at your own pace in the fresh air, why not take part in the or try out the YorActive Trail, a 5km route with outdoor gym equipment along the way: YorActive Trail map (PDF , 1,582kb)
You'll find all sorts of events - from comedy nights to art exhibitions - taking place in and around campus throughout the year. You can even organise your own events!
Student protest events
The 四虎影院 supports students to respectfully share, debate and challenge views and positions on a wide range of issues. We also have a responsibility to maintain a safe, effective, and welcoming environment for all our students, staff and visitors. See our Guide to student protest for some do's and don’ts around organising student protests on campus.
An inspirational Student Centre
A brand new space for our student community for generations to come. New Student Centre design and visuals are now available.