Self-certification of illness (sick leave)
If you're ill during term-time, please notify the University via your account (in the "Your Support" section).
How to self-certify
You can self-certify for a maximum of ten days in any one academic year, with a maximum of seven days for any one period of illness.
The Self Certification Policy (PDF , 565kb) provides information on whether you should self-certify your illness. More detailed guidance is provided in your departmental handbook.
This process should only be used if you are unwell. It should not be used for recording planned absences or planned medical appointments. In situations such as this, please inform your department.
If you're in any doubt as to whether you may self-certify for a particular period of illness, please discuss this with your supervisor or the Student Hub.
When do I need a sick note?
A medical certificate from your doctor should be submitted to the Student Hub if:
- Your illness lasts beyond seven consecutive days.
- You will have been absent through illness for more than 10 days in total in the current academic year.
- Your period of illness is to be considered as exceptional circumstances affecting assessment.
- Your Board of Studies has formally required you to attend all teaching.
When illness might affect your performance in assessments, you may be able to apply for exceptional circumstances affecting assessment.
Recording days off sick
Every term-time week day of illness should be counted as a day of absence, even if you are not timetabled to attend structured learning on those days. Ensure the days and dates are recorded correctly:
In the middle of the term you fall ill between classes on Friday 10th. You are unwell the whole of the following week, but recover by Sunday 19th.
- Date your sickness began: Friday 10th
- Date you returned to studies: Monday 20th (even if you have no classes until Tuesday 21st)
- Number of days sick (this absence): six (Friday 10th, Monday 13th - Friday 17th)
You fall ill after all classes on the evening of Tuesday 17th, in the last week of term. You are ill for the rest of that week and most of the first week of the vacation.
- Date your sickness began: Wednesday 18th
- Date you returned to studies: Monday 23rd
- Number of days sick (this absence): three (Wednesday 18th - Friday 20th)
For more help, contact the Student Hub.